The Pre-Sessional English Language program, delivered through American University’s English Language and Training Academy (ELTA), is designed to improve students’ comprehension and ability to take rigorous academic courses in the English language.
|First Year Program Length||Program Curriculum||Credits Earned Toward Degree||Progression Requirements||Progression Into|
|Varies||Preset (all closed courses)||None||Successful completion of the qualifying level in ELTA with a grade of B or higher in each course||MAP|
*Students accepted to the Pre-Sessional English program will not be able to enter the Kogod School of Business or the School of International Service.
|GPA||TOEFL® for Entry||IELTS™ for Entry||iTEP for Entry|
|Only one of the scores below required|
Progression Plan Standards: Pre-sessional English Graduate (MAP)
The Progression Plan is the guiding principle for the courses of action taken for students as they advance from one program level to another. Students are expected to meet academic standards enumerated and detailed below.
- For the general purposes of university degree and program requirements, students will be governed by the catalog year in effect for the academic year in which they are admitted to the PSE program.
- Students must enroll in all courses defined in the ELTA level 6 curriculum.
- Upon successful completion of the ELTA program level 6 curriculum, students may advance into the MAP program, if they meet the standards set below.
- Students are required to maintain compliance with IAP policies, AU immigration standards, AU Graduate Academic Regulations, and the AU Student Conduct Code.
Regular class attendance for all students is required to ensure students meet the goals of the program; a minimum of 90% class attendance is required to progress to the next level. Failure to meet the enrollment and attendance requirements may lead to loss of immigration status. Students who receive grades of FX or ZX will be administratively separated.
Language Proficiency Evaluation
All admitted students are required to take a post-arrival English proficiency test.
Progression Plan Options
- To advance into MAP, students must complete ELTA level 6 coursework with a letter grade of “B” or better in each ELTA course.
- a. In the summer term, pre-sessional graduate students may complete ELTA level 5 with additional coursework as equivalent to ELTA level 6 in consultation with the Assistant Dean of ELTA.
- If a PSE student receives a grade less than a “B” in any ELTA course, the student is required to repeat the entire level of ELTA courses and achieve a “B” or better in each course to advance to MAP.
- Students will maintain full-time study in compliance with visa requirements.
- Students are permitted to repeat one level of ELTA coursework one time. Requests to extend enrollment in PSE further due to extenuating circumstances must be submitted to and approved by the Associate Vice Provost for Academic Affairs, IAP.