The Pre-Sessional English Language program, delivered through American University’s English Language and Training Academy (ELTA), is designed to improve students’ comprehension and ability to take rigorous academic courses in the English language.
|First Year Program Length||Program Curriculum||Credits Earned Toward Degree||Progression Requirements||Progression Into|
|Varies||Preset (all closed courses)||None||Successful completion of the qualifying level in ELTA with a grade of B or higher in each course||MAP|
*Students accepted to the Pre-Sessional English program will not be able to enter the Kogod School of Business or the School of International Service.
|GPA||TOEFL® for Entry||IELTS™ for Entry|
|Only one of the scores below required|
Progression Plan Standards: Pre-sessional English Graduate (MAP)
The Progression Plan is the guiding principle for the courses of action taken for students as they progress from one program level to another. Students are expected to meet academic standards enumerated and detailed below. Students who meet standards may be placed into higher levels of ELTA and/or the Master’s Accelerator 2 Program (MAP2; 2 semesters), at which point they will be considered MAP students.
- For the general purposes of university degree and program requirements, students will be governed by the catalog year in effect for the academic year in which they are admitted to the ELTA program.
2. Students must enroll in all courses defined in the ETLA curriculum level 6.
3. Upon successful completion of the ELTA program level 6 curriculum, students may transfer into the MAP2 program if they meet the progression standards set below and obtain the minimum GPA standards.
4. Compliance with American University academic regulations and standards as outlined in the American University academic integrity code.
- Regular class attendance for all students is required to ensure students meet the goals of the program; a minimum of 90% class attendance is required to progress to the next level.
- Failure to meet the enrollment and attendance requirements may lead to deportation due to loss of immigration status. Full details of visa requirements can be found in the AU Catalog. Students who receive grades of FX and ZX will be academically dismissed or separated.
Language Proficiency Placement
All admitted students are required to take a post-arrival English proficiency test administered by ELTA. This test is administered to determine placement into the appropriate level at ELTA.
Progression Plan Options
- To progress to the next level within the Pre-sessional program, students must achieve a letter grade of “B” or better in each ELTA course.
- To progress into MAP2, students must complete ELTA Level 6 coursework with a letter grade of “B” or better in each ELTA course.
- In the summer term, pre-sessional graduate students may complete ELTA level 5 with additional coursework as equivalent to ELTA level 6 in consultation with the Assistant Dean of ELTA.
- If a student fails or receives less than a B in any ELTA course, the student is required to repeat the entire level of courses in to progress to the next ELTA level or MAP 2.
- Students will maintain full-time study in compliance with the regulations of ELTA and visa requirements, including at least 90% class attendance.
- Students are permitted to repeat one ELTA level one time while maintaining compliance with AU immigration standards, AU Undergraduate Academic Regulations, and AU Student Conduct Code. Exceptional requests to extend ELTA attendance further due to extenuating circumstances must be submitted to and approved by the ELTA Director.
- Students who do not meet the above progression criteria may be dismissed or academically separated from the program.